This article is going to teach you how Install VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04. VeraCrypt is an open-source program that encrypts data on the fly. The software can generate a virtual encrypted disk that functions similarly to a physical disk but is contained within a file. With pre-boot authentication, it can also encrypt a partition or the entire storage device. VeraCrypt is a branch of the TrueCrypt project, which has since been abandoned.
How to Install VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04
- Navigate to VeraCrypt website and use
wgetto get the installation download URL from the downloads page as shown below.
- Extract the installer script using the command below.
tar xjf veracrypt-1.24-Update4-setup.tar.bz2
- Next run the following command to install VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04.
- Select 1 to continue with the installation on the options that appear.
VeraCrypt 1.24-Update4 Setup ____________________ Installation options: 1) Install veracrypt_1.24-Update4_console_amd64.tar.gz 2) Extract package file veracrypt_1.24-Update4_console_amd64.tar.gz and place it to /tmp To select, enter 1 or 2: 1 Before you can use, extract, or install VeraCrypt, you must accept the terms of the VeraCrypt License. Press Enter to display the license terms... Press Enter or space bar to see the rest of the license. VeraCrypt License Software distributed under this license is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. THE AUTHORS AND DISTRIBUTORS OF THE SOFTWARE DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY. ANYONE WHO USES, COPIES, MODIFIES, OR (RE)DISTRIBUTES ANY PART OF THE SOFTWARE IS, BY SUCH ACTION(S), ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THEM, DO NOT USE, COPY, MODIFY, NOR (RE)DISTRIBUTE THE SOFTWARE, NOR ANY PART(S) THEREOF.
- You will be required to press enter key so as to read license through. Accept the license at the end by typing yes.
Do you accept and agree to be bound by the license terms? (yes/no): yes Uninstalling VeraCrypt: ----------------------- To uninstall VeraCrypt, please run 'veracrypt-uninstall.sh'. Installing package... [sudo] password for kigz: usr/ usr/share/ usr/share/doc/ usr/share/doc/veracrypt/ usr/share/doc/veracrypt/License.txt usr/share/doc/veracrypt/HTML/ usr/share/doc/veracrypt/HTML/Kuznyechik.html usr/share/doc/veracrypt/HTML/How to Back Up Securely.html usr/share/doc/veracrypt/HTML/Choosing Passwords and Keyfiles.html
Uninstall VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04
- To remove VeraCrypt, run the following command.
Install VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04 using DEB binary Package
- To install console-based VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04 simply run the command below to download it.
- Then install the downloaded package using the following command.
sudo dpkg -i veracrypt-console-1.24-Update4-Ubuntu-20.04-amd64.deb
- To install GUI based VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04 run the command below to download it.
- Then install the downloaded package using the APT package manager.
sudo apt install ./veracrypt-1.24-Update4-Ubuntu-20.04-amd64.deb
Install VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04 from Unit193 PPA Repos
- VeraCrypt can also be installed from Unit193 PPA Repos using the following command.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unit193/encryption --yes
- Next update the system package cache on Ubuntu 22.04
sudo apt update
- Then run the command below to install VeraCrypt, which will install both a GUI and a console version.
sudo apt install veracrypt
Uninstall GUI based VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04
- To remove GUI version VeraCrypt run the commands below.
apt remove --purge veracrypt
How to Launch VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04
- You can launch VeraCrypt from terminal using the command below.
- Alternatively you can search VeraCrypt from the application menu and click it to open if you installed the GUI version.
- You have reached the end of the article, Congratulations. You have learned how to Install VeraCrypt on Ubuntu 22.04.